Your Zanesville, Ohio Hometown website!

 

 
Home
City Info
Activities
Community
Entertainment
Sports
Schools
Business
Services

 
 
 
 
 
 

Zanesville Historical Sites

Historical Sites | Maps | Hotels | Travel Agencies | Welcome Center
 

Zanesville, OH has a rich and vibrant history that you can actually go back and visit. Time Travel in the year 2002 is as easy as checking out the many Historical Sites in the listing below.
 

Historical Site Listing

John and Annie Glenn Historic Site
68 West Main Street, PO Box 107
New Concord, OH 43762
740/826-3305

The John and Annie Glenn Historical Site is a museum dedicated to capturing the life of John Glenn, a true hometown hero. His boyhood home has been completely restored and moved to a convenient location in downtown New Concord for all to visit. The museum has been open since the end of May of 2002 so call and let them know you coming or just stop by.

 

 

Lorena Sternwheeler
Zane's Landing Park
Zanesville, OH 43701
740/455-8883 or 800/246-6303

The Lorena Sternwheeler carries 100 passengers and offers rides to the public, charters on the Muskingum river, and dinner cruises. The Sternwheeler is in operation from the middle of May until the end of October. Stop down and take a look at the sternwheeler at the West end of Market Street at the Zane Landing Park. To schedule a cruise or a charter call 800-246-6303


Dr. Increase Mathews House Museum
304 Woodlawn Avenue
Zanesville, OH 43701
740/454-9500

The Dr. Increase Mathews House is the oldest house in Zanesville. The house was built in 1805 and is located in the Putnam Historic District. The Museum has a gift shop featuring various items, historic room settings, and many other various types of antiques. Admission is $2/person Call (740) 454-9500 for hours.

  Picture not yet available

 

National Road-Zane Grey Museum
8850 East Pike
Norwich, OH 43767
740/872-3143 or 800/752-2602
Fax: 740/872-3510

The National Road-Zane Grey Museum tracks the development of the nations first highway, the National Road. National Road's development was authorized by Congress in 1806 and was developed to extend from Cumberland, Maryland to Vandalia, Illinois. The museum has an several different exhibits and a extensive collection of Pottery. Admission is $5 for Adults, $4 for Seniors, and $1.25 for Children ages 6-12. Call (740) 752-2602


Prospect Place
12140-12150 Main St., PO Box 196
Trinway, OH 43842

The Prospect Place (or George Willison Adams House) was constructed in 1857 by the rail road president. The Station was used to help fleeing slaves gain their freedom in the 1860s. To schedule a tour call: (740)754-1795

  Picture not yet available

Picture not yet available  

Putnam Manse
425 Woodlawn Avenue
Zanesville, OH 43701
800/743-2303

The Putnam Manse is a privately owned and still occupied house that was built in 1849. The Manse has large collections of clothing, antiques, dolls, and toys. Tours can be arranged by calling 800-743-2303.


The S-Bridge
west of New Concord, OH
near U.S. 40

Difficulty in the construction of the bridge forced the builders to curve the bridge in the shape of an S over a stream. During the 1860 slaves seeking freedom would hide underneath the bridge to avoid being seen.
  Picture not yet available

  The Schultz Mansion
441 Putnam Avenue
Zanesville, OH 43701
740/453-8828

This restored mansion was built in 1900 by William D. Schultz and given as a wedding gift to his bride, Ethel Granger Schultz. Consists of 26 rooms, five baths and eight fireplaces. Walled garden encloses the beautifully landscaped grounds and a spacious carriage house is nestled in the rear, complete with groomsman quarters. Perfect setting for meetings, parties, banquets and tours.

Salt Creek Covered Bridge
(Johnson's Mill)
Arch Hill Road
3 miles east of Zanesville

Completed in 1846, this 87-ft. bridge is the only remaining pure Warren truss covered bridge in the world. Pedestrian traffic only. Take US 40 E from Zanesville, turn left onto Arch Hill Road (at White Pillars Christmas House) and proceed a couple of miles.
  Picture not yet available

Picture not yet available  

Stone Academy
115 Jefferson Street
Zanesville, OH 43701
740/454-9500

Dating back to 1809, The Stone House, was originally built to lure the statehouse away from Chillicothe. When Zanesville was chosen as the state capital however the building was used for public functions and as a school. Now it houses the Pioneer and Historical Society offices and archives. The Stone House features exhibits of local historic documents, period clothing, fine art, furniture and special exhibits.


Suspension Bridge
East Muskingum Avenue
Dresden, OH 43821

The original was built in 1850, rebuilt in 1914 after the devastating flood of 1913.
  Picture not yet available

Picture not yet available
  Y Bridge
Downtown Zanesville

The Y bridge was first built is 1814. The bridge has gone thru 4 reconstructions and is now currently under its fifth.

Zanesville Masonic Temple
38 N. Fourth Street
Zanesville, OH 43701
740/454-6077

Originally the home of the local chapter of the Free Masons, this building now houses several local businesses and offices. An interesting note is that the floor tiles used in parts of the building were manufactured right here in Zanesville, OH.

 

     

Historical Site Event Area!

Tours are going on daily usually at the various Zanesville Historical sites! Call ahead though to be sure of the times they are open!

Have a 
Historical Event and  need some press?


Send Jeremy your information so we can highlight it here!